Sunday 7 July 2013

Tim Barry / Sam Russo

Headliner: Tim Barry
Venue: Firebug Leicester
Date: 30 June 2013
Other Artists: Flav Giorgni /  Sam Russo

I've been waiting for this gig for along time, in fact it turns out I was the first person to buy tickets! Tim Barry is one of my favourite song writers at the minute, while we have totally different lives, it seems like half the time he's writing songs about me.

First up tonight was an artist from Leicester or so it seemed.... called Flav Giorgini.

Never heard of him before and just assumed he was some bloke from Leicester turns out in another life he played in a pop punk band called Squirtgun in the US who had releases on Lookout records and even more amazing they had a song on the Kevin Smith classic Mallrats!!  in fact it played over the opening credits.  Seems he decided to ditch pop punk and get a Phd in Molecular genetics and works at Leicester University, crazy.

Next up Sam Russo.

Feel a bit guilty here because I can't really remember much about Sam Russo except I really enjoyed his set and his stories.


Next up Tim Barry, As I've already said I'm a massive fan of Tim and I wasn't disappointed, such an amazing song writer.  He played loads of songs from his new album mixed in with classics like Dog Bumped.

Moment of the evening for me was Tim's passion for the situation in Richmond VA in relation to his song Prosser's Gabriel, although I loved the lyrical content of the song I didn't have a real understanding of the entire story and since seeing Tim sing and talk about it I have bought a book to find out more about the story.

I love it when musicians get involved with and communicate with the crowd and especially when they ditch the stage and play in the crowd.


This is real music for me, not standing at the back of a massive stadium watching a screen because you can't see the band.  Give me a small room above a pub with a musician singing songs that actually mean something to him every day of the week.

I can't wait till Tim comes back


No comments:

Post a Comment